Student travel insurance

Heading overseas in your younger years is an unforgettable experience. But with so much to plan and so much to look forward to, it’s easy to overlook one of the most important things to pack: travel insurance.

students taking a selfie

Do students need travel insurance overseas?

Nothing can derail your trip like a broken arm, a lost passport or a cancelled flight, which is why every student heading overseas should purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy. 

But as every traveller knows, medical emergencies are far from the only risk when heading overseas. Pickpockets, scammers, cancelled flights and natural disasters can all turn your trip of a lifetime into one to forget, so when you shop for travel insurance, make sure you choose an option with a comprehensive range of benefits.

What does SCTI cover you for?

Our TravelCare policy provides students with comprehensive cover for their journeys overseas. All of our TravelCare customers also gain access to our worldwide emergency assistance team, who are ready to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Our comprehensive TravelCare insurance includes cover for:

  • Unlimited medical and evacuation expenses that arise due to unexpected events while on your journey
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits 
  • Damaged or lost baggage
  • Personal items if they are stolen or damaged
  • Rental car excess should you have an accident
  • Emergency dental treatment
  • Funeral costs

Student travellers waiting at the train station

What doesn’t your insurance cover?

When you shop around for travel insurance, make sure that you’re aware of the activities that aren't covered in your policy before you buy. 

For example, our TravelCare policy doesn’t cover you for outdoor rock climbing, base jumping or kitesurfing. On the other hand, it does cover you for on-piste skiing and snowboarding, bungy jumping and windsurfing! As you can see, it’s important to understand what your insurance does and doesn’t cover.

A general rule to remember is that travel insurance is there to protect you from unexpected events, which is why most policies won’t cover you for:

  • Breaking the law
  • Being under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs
  • Ignoring 'Avoid non-essential travel' or ‘Do not travel’ ratings on
  • Loss, damage or theft of unattended luggage
  • Loss that happens because of an event that was predicted before you bought your policy
  • Pre-existing medical conditions that you don’t declare when buying your policy

students out on the beach

Tips for staying safe overseas

Ideally, your travel will go off without a hitch and you won’t need to claim for any lost phones, damaged laptops or cancelled flights. They best way to avoid setbacks like these is to brush up on your travel safety.

Our Travel Advice blog is brimming with insider tips on how to keep yourself and your valuables safe overseas. If you’re planning a university exchange, volunteering work or a backpacking adventure, we recommend you read up on:

Travel insurance for students visiting New Zealand

If you’re a student visiting New Zealand to study, you’re required to have travel insurance. Our International Student travel insurance provides great value cover so you can focus on your studies, knowing you’re protected.

You’ll need a New Zealand student visa or a visitor visa to be eligible for this International Student policy. You’ll also need to be enrolled at an education provider in New Zealand and attend classes regularly. You can read more about our International Student travel insurance here.

Finding the right travel insurance policy for your student holiday is only a matter of research. Get an instant quote today to find out what your policy will cost.


What you need to know

This page may include some information about our products but, as with all insurance policies, terms and conditions may apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the TravelCare Policy Document and COVID-19 endorsement.