All international students are required to have appropriate travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. International Student travel insurance from SCTI has been designed to provide you with great value cover. So when you buy your policy, you can relax and focus on your studies, knowing you'll be looked after if the unexpected happens.
Brochures in other languages
Our International Student brochure is available in Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Japanese and of course in English. To view or download the brochures, just click on the flags below.
Our comprehensive plan includes cover for:
- Medical and evacuation expenses
- Travel delays and cancellations
- Baggage and personal items
- Cash and travel documents
- Personal liability
- Personal accident
- Rental vehicle excess
Please read the Policy Wording for details including sub-limits and conditions for particular claims.
Emergency Assistance 24/7
All policies come with Southern Cross Emergency Assistance, giving you access to one of the world's largest network of emergency medical resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible to apply for and to receive cover under an International Student policy, you must hold a New Zealand student visa whilst you are studying, or a visitor’s visa (for 3 months or less). You must be enrolled at a New Zealand education provider, and attend classes regularly. View the full eligibility criteria.
You are not eligible for this policy if:
You are travelling to New Zealand with the intention of obtaining medical or dental treatment, cosmetic surgery, or related advice or you have been advised by a registered medical practitioner that you are not fit to travel.
When the unexpected happens...
- We pay 100% of your qualifying medical costs in New Zealand, with no excess deduction.
- We cover costs for emergency dental treatment & for replacement lenses due to a change in vision.
- cover you while travelling between your home country and New Zealand & for trips you undertake to Australia or the South Pacific Islands for up to 31 days. You are also covered in your home country for up to 90 days and for a maximum of $20,000 if you return home temporarily.
Other important things you need to know…
- We provide cover when the unexpected happens to you, but only for claims that are actual and reasonable and not otherwise excluded in the policy wording.
- Before claiming for an injury or illness resulting from an accident, you must first make a claim to the New Zealand Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).
- You must report any property, cash or document loss or theft to the Police, security, or appropriate authorities, within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss and obtain a full written report.
Insurance for Graduate Students
- When you graduate from your studies you can continue to be covered for the unexpected while you are in New Zealand by purchasing our Visiting New Zealand policy – click here for more.
Helpful Links for International Students
Here are some websites that you may find useful while studying here in New Zealand.
If you wish to become an agent and sell International Student insurance on our behalf, click here.