Why do I need International Student travel insurance?
All international students are required to have health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. International Student travel insurance from Southern Cross Travel Insurance has been especially designed to provide international students with the cover they need. You'll have the comfort of knowing you'll be looked after if the unexpected happens.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible to apply for and to receive cover under an International Student policy, You must:
(a) hold, or intend to hold, a current New Zealand student visa for the duration of the time that You are studying in New Zealand (or a visitor visa if studying for no more than three months);
(b) be enrolled at a New Zealand education provider and, at our request, be able to provide confirmation to Us that You were regularly attending the classes for which You enrolled up until the time You submitted a claim.
You are not eligible for this policy if:
You are travelling to New Zealand with the intention of obtaining medical or dental treatment, cosmetic surgery, or related advice or you have been advised by a registered medical practitioner that you are not fit to travel.
What are you covered for?
International Student travel insurance offers you a choice of two plans:
This plan covers medical expenses, evacuation and repatriation expenses, changes to your journey, personal accident, personal liability, rental car excess and cash and travel documents. For full details of cover limits see the Policy Wording.
Our most comprehensive plan, Student Max includes all the types of cover listed above for StudentEssentials, with the addition of cover for baggage and personal items. For full details of cover limits see the Policy Wording.
When the unexpected happens...
- We pay 100% of your qualifying medical costs in New Zealand, with no excess deduction.
- We cover costs for emergency dental treatment.
- We refund your student fees if you can't finish your studies due to an unexpected event (but not due to the financial collapse of your school).
- We provide travel insurance cover for you while travelling between your home country and New Zealand for up to 31 days.
- We cover you for travel to Australia or the South Pacific for up to 31 days.
- If you have selected StudentMax as your plan, we will provide cover if your personal effects are lost, stolen or damaged.
- If your cover is continuous, we will cover previously claimed conditions (with the exception of chronic conditions) when you renew your International Student policy.
Other important things you need to know…
- The plan you select – StudentMax or StudentEssentials determines whether you are covered for the loss, theft or damage of your Baggage & Personal Items.
- We provide cover when the unexpected happens to you, but only for claims that are actual and reasonable and not otherwise excluded in the policy wording.
- We will not pay for irresponsible actions, such as leaving personal items unattended.
- We will not pay for claims that relate to non-prescription drugs, alcohol or illegal activity.
- It is your responsibility to pay for medical check-ups and treatment for the maintenance of your dental health.
- Before claiming for an injury or illness resulting from an accident, you must first make a claim to the New Zealand Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).
- You must report any property, cash or document loss or theft to the Police, security, or appropriate authorities, within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss and obtain a full written report.
- A $100 excess will be deducted per event for any claims that you may make under Section 6 Cash & Travel Documents. For claims under Section 7 Baggage & Personal Items a $200 excess applies per event, and a $500 excess applies for each laptop, tablet or personal computer claimed.
- If you temporarily return to your home country for 90 days or less, and you intend to return to New Zealand via a booked return ticket, you will hold cover under all sections of your StudentMax or StudentEssentials policy, up to a maximum of $20,000 per policy during your time overseas.
All policies come with Southern Cross Worldwide Assistance, giving you access to one of the world's largest network of emergency medical resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For a full list of benefits covered and the conditions and exclusions that apply to the International Student insurance policy please refer to the Policy Wording, which together with the Certificate of Insurance, make up the contract of insurance.
If you wish to become an agent and sell International Student insurance on our behalf, click here.