Get a Quote
/ /
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months
7 months
8 months
9 months
10 months
11 months
12 months
13 months
14 months
15 months
16 months
17 months
18 months
19 months
20 months
21 months
22 months
23 months
24 months
Traveller 1
Traveller 2
Traveller 3
Traveller 4
Traveller 5
Traveller 6
Traveller 7
Traveller 8
Traveller 9
Traveller 10
Traveller 11

Guide to Purchasing Link Image - Chinese

Guide to Purchasing Link Image - Korean


Welcome Banner

Why do I need International Student travel insurance?

All international students are required to have appropriate travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. International Student travel insurance from Southern Cross Travel Insurance has been designed to provide you with the cover you need. You'll have the comfort of knowing you'll be looked after if the unexpected happens.

Brochures available in other languages

Our International Student brochure is available in Chinese, Korean, Spanish and of course in English. To view or download the brochures, just click on the flags below. 

Chinese Flag Korean Flag Spanish Flag New Zealand Flag

What plan should I select?

Two plans are available, Essentials and Max (refer below for details). Please note, most education providers require students to have the Max plan. Check with your provider if you are unsure.


This plan covers medical expenses, evacuation and repatriation expenses, changes to your journey, personal accident, personal liability, rental car excess and cash and travel documents. For full details of cover limits see the Policy Wording.


Our most comprehensive plan, Student Max includes all the types of cover listed above for StudentEssentials, with the addition of cover for baggage and personal items. For full details of cover limits see the Policy Wording.

Are you eligible?

To be eligible to apply for and to receive cover under an International Student policy, You must:

(a) hold, or intend to hold, a current New Zealand student visa for the duration of the time that You are studying in New Zealand (or a visitor visa if studying for no more than three months);


(b) be enrolled at a New Zealand education provider and regularly attending classes

You are not eligible for this Policy if:

You are travelling to New Zealand with the intention of obtaining medical or dental treatment, cosmetic surgery, or related advice or you have been advised by a registered medical practitioner that you are not fit to travel.

When the unexpected happens...

  • We pay 100% of your qualifying medical costs in New Zealand, with no excess deduction.
  • We cover costs for emergency dental treatment & replacement lenses due to a change in vision.
  • Cover you while travelling between your home country and New Zealand & for trips you undertake to Australia or the South Pacific Islands for up to 31 days.  You are also covered in your home country for up to 90 days and for a maximum of $20,000 if you return home temporarily.

Other important things you need to know…

  • We provide cover when the unexpected happens to you, but only for claims that are actual and reasonable and not otherwise excluded in the policy wording.
  • Before claiming for an injury or illness resulting from an accident, you must first make a claim to the New Zealand Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).
  • You must report any property, cash or document loss or theft to the Police, security, or appropriate authorities, within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss and obtain a full written report.

Insurance for Graduate Students

  • When you graduate from your studies you can continue to be covered for the unexpected while you are in New Zealand by purchasing our Visiting New Zealand policy - click here for more.

All policies come with Southern Cross Emergency Assistance, giving you access to one of the world's largest network of emergency medical resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For a full list of benefits covered and the conditions and exclusions that apply to the International Student insurance policy please refer to the Policy Wording, which together with the Certificate of Insurance, make up the contract of insurance.

If you wish to become an agent and sell International Student insurance on our behalf, click here.