Whether it’s sailing away on a round-the-world cruise, or visiting family and friends on distant shores, senior travellers know that age is no barrier to living their dreams.
With our comprehensive and affordable travel insurance for seniors, you can live yours too.
What we cover
Travel insurance is an important item for any overseas holiday. But for older travellers, finding the right policy can be a confusing tangle of pre-existing conditions, age limits, cover restrictions and additional premiums.
Thankfully, if you’re over 65, our age-friendly TravelCare policy can give you the peace of mind of knowing that you and your family are protected if the unexpected occurs.
Our TravelCare policy covers senior travellers for:
- Unlimited medical and evacuation cover
- No excess for medical claims
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits
- Delay cover
- Personal items if they are lost, stolen or damaged
- Rental car excess if you have an accident
- Emergency dental treatment
- Funeral costs
Please see the Policy Wording. Terms and conditions, sub-limits and exclusions apply.
When you protect yourself with a TravelCare policy, you also gain access to our worldwide emergency assistance team who are just a phone call away, and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Travel insurance for seniors with pre-existing conditions
A pre-existing medical condition is any illness or injury which:
- You are aware of (or a reasonable person in your circumstances ought to be aware of); and
- You’ve received advice, care, treatment, medication or medical attention for within the last three years or you’ve sought or been recommended medical treatment for within the last three years.
When purchasing your insurance, you must declare any heart, vascular or lung illnesses.
Do pre-existing conditions affect the price of my policy?
In a nutshell, yes. Seeking cover for pre-existing medical conditions will affect the price of your travel insurance policy. Any additional costs are displayed to you before you buy your policy, so you can choose whether or not to proceed with the purchase.
If you don’t declare any pre-existing condition that is a heart, vascular or illness, your policy may be voided and we may not be able to look after you on your trip.
If you choose not to declare other pre-existing conditions, you can still buy your travel insurance, but you won’t be covered for any claims relating to those conditions. However, you will still be covered for all other benefits listed in the policy wording.
Remember, overseas medical emergencies can be astronomically expensive for uninsured travellers, as some of our highest medical claims show. So, declare your pre-existing conditions and you can give yourself and your family peace of mind when travelling.
Seniors travel insurance for cruises
Cruises are a great way to explore exotic and exciting locations with premium comfort and convenience. But whether it’s a misplaced bag or a bout of the flu, there’s still the risk of something spoiling your trip.
The good news for seniors is that our TravelCare policy includes cover for overseas cruises at no extra cost.
If you’re embarking on a cruise holiday, remember to:
- Select cover for all of the destinations you’ll be visiting on your cruise.
- Buy your policy as soon as you’ve booked your cruise, so you’re covered for unexpected cancellations and illnesses before you leave.
- If you plan to enjoy any adventure sports or activities on your trip, check the policy wording to see if you’re covered.
Cover for seniors over 85
Some insurers don’t offer policies to people over 65. We believe that everyone should be free to experience the joy of travelling, no matter their age, which is why there is no age limit for our TravelCare policy.
So if you’re over 85 and travelling overseas, you’re eligible for our TravelCare policy as long as you are:
- A New Zealand citizen or permanent resident; or
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident who resides in New Zealand; or
- On a visa or permit which allows you access to all publicly funded health and disability services in New Zealand and is valid until after your end date of insurance.
Travel insurance tips for seniors
We know that finding the right policy for your holiday can be confusing. But with the right research, you can find great value cover at an affordable price. When researching your travel insurance, remember to:
- Understand your pre-existing medical conditions and what they cost to cover.
- Look out for any age limits.
- Buy your insurance as soon as you book your flights and accommodation, so you’re covered for unexpected cancellations.
- Research customer reviews to find great quality cover.
If you suffer from any illness or injury (symptoms included) after buying your insurance but before you travel, remember to notify us.
If you’re travelling with the grandkids, remember that your SCTI policy covers dependent children for free.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance awards
We’ve been providing quality comprehensive travel insurance for over 30 years. This year, we’re proud to have received the Canstar award for Outstanding Value for Travel Insurance - International 2018.
Need some help?
Do you have a question about our travel insurance for seniors? We’re here to help. Please feel free to email us at any time, or speak to one of our friendly insurance experts on 0800 800 571.
If you’d like to receive travel insurance promotions, special offers, news and travel advice, feel free to subscribe to our mailing list here.
Please read the Policy Wording for terms and conditions, including information about exclusions, excesses and sub-limits.