Why do you need Visiting New Zealand travel insurance?
Most non-residents holding visas other than an international student visa are eligible for cover. This includes but is not limited to:
- Visitors/Working Holiday and Guardian visas
- Job search and work visas
- General migrants
Once you are a Permanent Resident of New Zealand, you are no longer eligible for cover under this policy.
While New Zealand is generally regarded as a safe place for travellers, it is strongly recommended that all visitors have relevant insurance protection. With Visiting New Zealand travel insurance, you'll have the comfort of knowing that you'll be looked after if the unexpected happens.
Brochures in other languages
Our Visiting New Zealand brochure is now available in Chinese, Korean, and of course in English. To view or download the brochures, just click on the flags below.
- Emergency assistance any time of the day or night
- Cover for hospitalisation, doctor and prescription expenses
- Medical evacuation back to your home country
- Cover for travel delays and missed connections
- Cover for lost or stolen passports and other important travel documents
- Travel companion expenses, if you are hospitalised or repatriated
- Lump sum personal accident cover
- Personal liability cover
- Rental vehicle excess cover
- Cover for personal effects if you select Visiting NZ Max as your plan
Cover while you're working
Most types of work can be covered, except for professional sport, heavy manual and hazardous work. However, all work is excluded from personal liability claims. Claims for accidents should be made to the New Zealand Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) in the first instance.
Other important things you need to know
- The plan you select - Visiting NZ Max or Visiting NZ Essentials determines whether you are covered for the loss, theft or damage of your Baggage and Personal Items.
- This policy covers you if the unexpected happens, but only for claims that are actual and reasonable.
- You must report any property, money or document loss or theft to the police, security, or appropriate authorities, within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss and obtain a full written report.
- An excess of $100 applies per event under all sections of the policy.
- In certain circumstances, we are entitled to return you to your home country if you are medically fit to fly.
For workers under the RSE scheme we offer Seasonal Worker travel insurance, please contact your designated agent or email email@example.com
All policies come with Southern Cross Emergency Assistance, giving you access to one of the world's largest network of emergency medical resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For a full list of benefits covered and the conditions and exclusions that apply to the Visiting New Zealand travel insurance policy please refer to the Policy Wording, which together with the Certificate of Insurance, make up the contract of insurance.