Issued Date: 31 January 2020
On Friday 31 January 2020, the World Health Organisation announced that the Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak had met their required medical threshold to classify the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
Am I covered?
If you purchased your policy after Friday 31st January 2020 at 2.00pm (NZDT), there is no cover* for any event relating to the Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) because this is no longer an unexpected event.
* Except for: TravelCare Policy - Section D1.6, Working Overseas Policy - Section 1.5 and International Student Policy - Section 1.8.
Terms and conditions apply under your travel insurance policy. Please refer to your policy wording or contact us at email@example.com for further information.
Tips on staying safe
- Follow the advice of the local authorities at all times, including any evacuation orders.
- Follow advice from the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- Closely monitor media and news channels to stay up-to-date with any developments.
- Update your registration and check information on the Safe Travel website.
- If you need consular assistance, please contact the New Zealand Embassy.
- Keep in touch with family and friends in New Zealand with updates about your safety and whereabouts.