Problems while travelling can happen anywhere and can stem from things as simple as a moment of forgetfulness through to a sudden medical emergency. If you’ve ever wondered what types of claims we receive and how much they cost, take a look at these examples. They may surprise you.
- A backpack was stolen while a stranger distracted a couple by arguing over a taxi. (We see claims for this type of event quite often!) All their valuables were in that backpack – camera and accessories, traveller tripod, laptop, phone chargers, hard drives and even their bus tickets. Total claim, over $7,800.
- Early in the morning, two travellers were looking for accommodation. One friend waited while the other went down the road to check a location. While waiting, two men approached and demanded the backpack. Understandably afraid, the backpack was handed over. It contained items such as camera and accessories, clothing, shoes, headphones, video camera, toiletries, sleeping bag, and mobile phone. Total claim, over $11,000.
- A traveller suffered severe vertigo and was taken by ambulance to hospital. They were unable to travel that day as planned and had to take another flight later. Total claim, over $1,300.
- A traveller suffered from flu, tonsillitis, vomiting, diarrhoea and severe pain. They were hospitalised overnight. Total claim, over $1,000.
- A child fell from a trampoline, breaking her arm. Total claim, over $3,700.
- Before their trip to Europe had even started, a customer was diagnosed with a serious illness that meant they had to cancel their holiday. Total claim, over $18,000.
- A woman tripped and injured her spine. She required medical treatment and repatriation to New Zealand. Her claim included missed tours and flights home. Total claim, $5,500.
What these claims show us is that the unexpected can happen while you’re travelling and even before you leave. We can‘t prevent bad things happening, but we can help you financially, when events that are out of your control happen. So please always buy your insurance early - preferably as soon as you confirm your flights and remember to specify any high value items – that way you get the full value of having a TravelCare policy with Southern Cross Travel Insurance.