Bank card, passport and travel document cover

Losing your passport, bank cards or other important travel documents overseas can be upsetting, frustrating and potentially costly. Whether it’s a stolen wallet containing your debit card, or a passport that is damaged beyond repair, it’s important that you stay calm and follow the necessary steps to replace the items.


Our cover for travel documents

If your passport or travel documents are lost, stolen or damaged due to an unexpected event, you’re covered for eligible claims up to $1,000 per person, with a maximum of $2,000 per family.
What to do when you lose your passport overseas

There are several important steps to take if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged while you’re travelling overseas, including:

  1. Report the loss to relevant authorities within 24 hours of discovery, where possible, so you can get a written report that proves the event took place. For example, if you had your passport stolen from your bag, you'll need to report it to the local police. Make sure you keep the written report to support your new passport application, and your insurance claim.
  2. Report the incident to a service provider immediately (like a hotel, tour operator or transport provider) if the loss happened whilst in their care. A claim must be lodged with them in the first instance. You’ll need to provide us with a written report from the service provider to show what they did or didn’t pay.
  3. Visit a New Zealand Embassy to report the loss and cancel your passport immediately. This can also be done online at the New Zealand Passport Office website.
  4. Complete an overseas passport application form and pay an application fee.
  5. Attend an interview and pay a lost/stolen passport fee.

For more information on the immediate steps you need to take when losing your passport overseas, visit the New Zealand Passport Office website.

What to do when you lose your bank card

Just like when you lose your passport, you need to act quickly if you lose your debit, credit or other bank cards overseas. Depending on the circumstances, you may need to:

  1. Carry out steps 1 and 2 in the ‘What to do when you lose your passport overseas’ list above.
  2. Report your lost or stolen cards to your bank immediately. Ask them to cancel or place a temporary lock on your cards, so they cannot be used.
  3. Organise an emergency replacement card and pay a processing and delivery fee.

There is a $100 excess that applies to claims for travel documents, passports and bank cards.


How to make a claim

If the unexpected happens and you need to make a claim, the easiest way to do this is online. Claims should be submitted as soon as possible after the unexpected event. You will need the details of the main policy holder and your policy number, which can be found on your Certificate of Insurance.

During the online claims process, we’ll ask you for information to help us understand exactly what happened and what you are claiming for.

Once you have made an online claim, you will receive an email from us with instructions on what documents you need to send, such as proof of ownership and confirmation that the event took place.

Once you have been assigned a claims assessor, they will keep you informed of the status of your claim during the process.


What is an unexpected event?

We consider an unexpected event to be a cause or event that happens during your period of insurance that was sudden, unforeseeable or unintended, was outside of your control, and could not reasonably have been anticipated or avoided.

To find out more about our terms and conditions, including information about exclusions, excesses and sub-limits, we recommend you read the Policy Document.


What you need to know

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the travel insurance Policy Document.