Travel insurance for the UK

Travel insurance for the UK




Kids go free. T&Cs apply.

The UK has enough bucket list attractions to compete with any travel destination around the world. With the historical magnificence of Buckingham Palace, the charming beauty of the English countryside, the prehistoric intrigue of Stonehenge and the raw wilderness of Scottish shores, it’s little wonder that over 100,000 Kiwis explore the UK each year.

The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, and each region has its own identity, attractions and potential challenges for travellers. While some areas of the UK might feel like a home away from home for many New Zealanders, your holiday still needs research, preparation and comprehensive travel insurance.

Beach in the UK

What am I insured for in the UK?

Our award-winning travel insurance offers affordable and comprehensive cover for your trip overseas. With our TravelCare policy, you can be protected by a wide variety of benefits, generous policy limits and a supportive claims team. You’ll also gain access to our worldwide emergency assistance team, who are there to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Our comprehensive TravelCare insurance includes cover for:

  • Unlimited medical and evacuation expenses that arise due to unexpected events while on your journey
  • Cancellation fees and lost deposits – increase your cover depending on the cost of your journey
  • Damaged or lost baggage
  • Personal items if they are stolen or damaged
  • Rental car excess should you have an accident
  • Emergency dental treatment
  • Funeral costs 

Do New Zealanders need travel insurance for the UK?

Some Kiwis might assume that because of New Zealand's close relationship with the UK, they don’t need travel insurance when visiting. However, while New Zealand and the UK share a reciprocal health agreement, that provides limited medical cover for New Zealanders in the UK, this doesn’t include protection for emergency dental care, flight cancellations caused by injury, medical evacuation, or any treatment from a medical provider that isn’t part of the National Health Service Scheme.

Unfortunately, medical emergencies aren’t the only thing that can spoil your holiday, which is why protecting yourself with comprehensive insurance like TravelCare is so important.

Cobbled street in the UK

Does my insurance cover me for medical and hospital bills?

Whether it’s a slip and fall, a contaminated restaurant meal, or a bad bout of the flu, medical emergencies can be incredibly expensive. As well as the cost of medical treatment, you may need to pay for more spacious seats on the plane (to accommodate a broken leg, for example). Some injuries and illnesses might force you to extend your holiday, meaning you have to pay for extra accommodation and living expenses until you’re fit to fly.

We understand how upsetting medical emergencies can be while you’re on holiday, which is why our TravelCare policy can cover you for unlimited medical and evacuation expenses that arise due to unexpected events while on your journey.

Am I covered for stolen or damaged valuables, like my phone, camera and laptop?

The UK can feel like a second home for many Kiwis, however that shouldn’t make them complacent with their valuables. Pickpocketing and petty theft is common in the UK. In fact, King’s Cross Station in London experiences over 200 cases of theft each year, and ‘moped muggings’ are becoming notorious in the city.

We understand how upsetting it can be to have your valuables stolen overseas, which is why our TravelCare policy can cover you for loss, damage or theft to valuables that occurs from an unexpected event.

What is an ‘unexpected event’? Your policy defines an unexpected event as something that was unforeseeable, sudden, unintended and out of your control. You can read more about your cover under our TravelCare policy in our travel insurance policy document.

View of London Bridge

Does my cover include flight cancellations and delays?

Whether it’s severe weather, volcanic ash clouds, or airline workers on strike, there are a number of ways your flight plans can be disrupted. For uninsured travellers, these disruptions can be costly and frustrating, especially when you need to extend your accommodation bookings.

Our TravelCare policy includes travel interruption cover, that can insure you for the additional costs of accommodation, transport and meals if your travel is interrupted for more than 12 hours. If you’re attending a special event (e.g. a wedding or concert) and your travel is disrupted by an unexpected event, we may also cover alternative transport costs to get you there on time.

Am I insured if I rent a car in the UK?

Heading beyond the city centres in a rental car is a great way to explore the charming UK countryside. Raw coastline, rolling hills and rustic villages can all be easily reached in a rental car.

But before hitting the open road in a rental car, travellers should ensure that they’re covered for unexpected accidents under their insurance. If your rental vehicle is damaged or stolen due to an unexpected event, our rental vehicle excess cover can reimburse you for any non-refundable vehicle excess up to $5,000.

If you plan to hit the open road overseas, remember to:

  • Obey all local driving laws
  • Hire your vehicle from a licensed rental car agency
  • Comply with the terms of the rental vehicle agreement
  • Only drive on formed or paved roads and car parks
  • Don’t drink or drive under any circumstances



What you need to know

This article may contain hyperlinks to other websites owned or operated by third parties, or references to third party products or services. SCTI isn’t responsible for, and makes no recommendation about, the content or accuracy of any third party website, or for the suitability or performance of any product or service. The inclusion of a link in this article doesn’t imply that SCTI endorses the website or third party product/service.

This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For our terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the travel insurance policy document.


Related articles

Travelling around the UK

Getting around in the UK

The UK offers a wide variety of transport options. Start planning your trip with our guide to getting around the UK. Read more

Five days in London itinerary

5 days in lesser-known London

Planning your trip to London? Get off the well-worn path and explore these alternative attractions. Read more

UK accommodation guide

A guide to accommodation in the UK

From quaint countryside cottages to metropolitan five star hotels, find out more about accommodation in the UK. Read more

*Terms and conditions apply to the promotion and to the purchase of a TravelCare policy.

Issued and underwritten by Southern Cross Benefits Limited trading as Southern Cross Travel Insurance. 

We are a Registered Financial Service Provider and a member of the Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme.  Southern Cross Benefits Limited has an A (Strong) financial strength rating given by Standard & Poor's (Australia) Pty Ltd. The rating scale is: AAA (Extremely Strong) AA (Very Strong) A (Strong) BBB (Good) BB (Marginal) B (Weak) CCC (Very Weak) CC (Extremely Weak) SD or D (Selective Default or Default) R (Regulatory Supervision) NR (Not Rated). Ratings from 'AA' to 'CCC' may be modified by the addition of a plus (+) or minus (-) sign to show relative standing within the major rating categories.  Full details of the rating scale are available at Standard & Poor's (Australia) Pty Ltd is an approved agency under the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act 2010.

All our travel insurance policies (including but not limited to the benefits, terms, conditions and exclusions) and premiums quoted are subject to change.

Copyright © 2019 Southern Cross Benefits Limited